Saturday 8 December 2012

Parque Nacional Los Glaciares

For the last couple of days we have been staying in El Chalten on the edge of the Los Glaciares National Park. Stunning scenery, but unfortunately the weather has been a bit hit and miss, with very strong winds and some rain. The small town is the trekking capital of Argentina and there are some really nice challenging walks from town heading out to the various glaciers in the park. It has been good to get some proper trekking in, even if my boots are starting to fall part. The good news is that I heeded the warning signs and purchased some leather walking shoes in Buenos Aires. Hopefully I will not go through two pairs of shoes whilst in South America. Luckily I am planning to live in my sandals as soon as we return to sunnier climbs. Comedy tan lines here we come!

Today I walked out to Lake Torre and back. There are supposedly stunning views of Mount Torre at the lake, but all I could see was mist and horizontal rain. Reminds me of walking in the lake district.

The big news today is that our truck is finally on the road and should be able to reach us on Monday. This is great news as we can finally start to camp and no longer have to use public transports, which is a bit more sparse now we are in a remote area.

Anthony

1 comment:

  1. "finally start to camp" not something I think you'll ever hear me say, is that not a good excuse to find a hotel!? but glad the truck is finally on the way!! All looks amazing, especially the glacier. Hope you di get to do some glacier walking. Cristina x

    ReplyDelete